http://worldwidehelp.blogspot.com --> Gill Blog: The World of Homer-Dixon

Gill Blog

Thursday, September 04, 2003

The World of Homer-Dixon

My wife and I are expecting our second child in November. Due to a logistical snag in our schedules yesterday morning, my wife asked if I could leave the office to drive her to her routine doctor's appointment (all is well by the way). I thought this would be a great opportunity to momentarily shift my morning emphasis away from the worlds of real estate, business continuity planning and sustainability, and just enjoy a nice cup of coffee. I must have been dreaming.

The moment I switched on the car radio to CBC program The Current, I was instantly riveted to an interview that had just begun. Thomas (Tad) Homer-Dixon, an academic and author, was being interviewed about the implications of the northeast blackout, and his power of extrapolation was truly something to behold. As the discussion continued, he began talking about how we as a society will have no choice but to decentralize on a wide scale. As you hear the interview, many of the issues Gill has been promoting for the past two years were being validated, one by one. You have to hear it to believe it.

When we arrived at our destination, my wife had to snap her fingers in front of my eyes to awake me from my trance.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home