http://worldwidehelp.blogspot.com --> Gill Blog: Business Continuity: Coming to a Town Near You

Gill Blog

Sunday, September 07, 2003

Business Continuity: Coming to a Town Near You

After moving to Canada nine years ago, I had to give up something that was part of my marrow -- college football. Shortly after arriving, I realized that not only would it be next to impossible following FSU football on TV, but weekly print coverage would be scant at best. Thank goodness for the internet. Now, depending on what time I decide to wake up on a Sunday morning, I can read to my heart's content about goings on in college football. Because I went to undergrad and grad school in the state of Florida, a state that is as passionate about football as Canadians are about hockey, I tend to read about not only the Seminoles, but also the University of Miami, and The University of Florida (where I went to grad school).

On this particular morning, I was scrambling to get things together early because I was taking my daughter out for a day at the local amusement park. Because I was planning an 8:30 departure from the house, I decided to wake up extra early to find out if the beat of FSU's dominance of the ACC continued in its game against Maryland (it did, but the times could be 'a changin') as well as the UM/UF tilt (The Gators squandered a 33-10 lead late in the third quarter to fall 38-33 to the Canes). I usually don't write about my personal routines on Sunday mornings, but it was needed to provide some context to this post.

I always read details about UF football in the Gainesville Sun. In the summer Gainesville is the quaint, steamy southern town guys like John Grisham might set their novels in, or producers might select as the quintessential southern location for filming, but come the academic year, its population must swell by at least 50,000. As one might guess, the majority of local media coverage concentrates on university-oriented content, and state politics. National news is generally presented in executive summary format. Thus, its simply not the kind of place I would think places the same importance on issues associated with business continuity, or redundancy.

For this reason I was a little suprised by this story that appeared on the front page of today's Sun. It ties the events of the northeast blackout to the potential threats associated with cyber-terrorism. The fact that these types of stories are working there way onto the front pages on college-town newspapers says to me that the awareness and implications of all issues associated with business continuity is permeating deeper layers of society. Like it or not, it won't be long before we're all in the know with how things are changing.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home