http://worldwidehelp.blogspot.com --> Gill Blog: Workplace Continuity

Gill Blog

Thursday, June 10, 2004

Workplace Continuity

I have to apologize for not posting here in the past week. I promised to share some interesting stories of my recent trip to India, and I will. In the meantime, let me tell you what's been keeping me so busy since I got back.

I have been preparing for the WorldWide Workplace Web (W4) Conference, in Washington D.C., where I'll be speaking next week. An international conference for public sector real property professionals, W4 promises to be an excellent forum in which Gill Advisors can introduce the new concept we have been developing--Workplace Continuity.

The premise is fairly straightforward. As organizational policies change in the aftermath of terrorist attacks, floods, fires, pandemics, and blackouts, so too does the definition of "workplace". Events of mass disruption force organizations to redefine the fundamental elements of workplace, placing renewed emphasis on ergonomics, sustainability, worker flexibility and continuous operation of business regardless of the severity or duration of disruption.

These factors, combined with the proliferation of new technology, the ubiquity of broadband, and the corresponding advancement of teleworking, change the fundamental dynamics of workplace and the corresponding patterns of real estate usage.

I'll be sharing some of the learnings from my recent trip to India, too, and exploring how these affect our work here in North America. As soon as we're back from the W4 Conference, we'll get deeper into all that good stuff. In the meantime, I thought this article from India about a week ago was particularly relevant to our discussions.

In my conference presentation, I'll talk about how the changing standards within a knowledge-based workplace will change performance. Before too long, common standards such as an employee's "time at the desk" and charisma--heretofore common benchmarks for evaluating performance--will be replaced by fulfillment of a prescribed set of deliverables. This is best reflected in this quote from the article:
"The profession is completely skill-based,"...Recruiters judge candiates purely on the basis of the programs they write and the way they react to challenging situations.
For those who plan to attend the W4 conference, I look forward to continuing discussions in Washington; for those hard at work at their desks--you know who you are--I'll be posting from the conference next week, so come back then to see what we've learned from others.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home